My mum always said,
“If life gives you lemons, then make lemonade”
But, what if life never gave you any lemons! Then we say, grow your own then with the unlimited lemonade and fresh lemons you can make a lemonade stand to rival the Jones’.
In this post we will show you how you can grow your own lemon tree, inside your own house, using just the seed from a lemon!
But, first, let’s get into some of the health benefits of lemons.
Lemon Health Benefits
Although lemons aren’t the first choice of fruit when you’re looking for a snack, there is no denying its powerful health benefits.
To start off, they are incredibly rich in vitamin C, making them great for treating common sicknesses such as the cold or the flu. Some less known facts about vitamin C is that it has also been found to treat more serious health conditions, such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
It also helps to reduce inflammation and the damaging effects of free radicals in the body. And Lord knows no one likes a free radical!
Lemons also contain a variety of other flavonoids that have both antioxidant and anticancer properties.
How To Grow A Lemon Tree
What You’ll Need:
- Store-bought lemon
- Potting soil
- Grow lights or an area with a lot of sun
- Breathable plastic film
Planting Your Seed:
- Dampen your potting soil by putting it into a bucket and mixing it with some water
- Fill your container with the moistened soil, leaving about an inch of space below its rim
- Slice open your lemon and take out a seed that’s in good shape
- Suck on the seed so that all of the flesh is removed, making sure that it doesn’t dry out (it needs to be moist when planted)
- Plant your seed about a half-inch beneath the soil and water it with a squirt bottle or gently with a watering can
- Cover your container with the breathable plastic to make sure that it stays warm and moist, and place it in a warm area. Make sure it is not too damp (too much moisture will cause the seed to rot, try to find a nice balance)
- Observe it for the next week or two and keep an eye on the area where you planted the seed. When you notice it begin to sprout, remove the plastic cover
- Once the plant has sprouted move it to an area that is still warm, but has a lot of direct sunlight
Caring For Your Plant:
- Make sure that your soil is moist at all times, especially when the lemon tree is young. Do not let the water build up, however, and make sure that your container has drainage holes.
- Your plant will need at least eight hours of direct sunlight every day, so make sure it is in a place where it will get that
- As with most other plants, make sure to add fertilizer to it when needed
Don’t forget to cut a few lemons and place them on the bedside in your bedroom – here’s why!
The health benefits of lemons can’t be overstated. This powerful little fruit does many good things for your life, your looks, and your health.
Start with the smell. There’s a reason the scent of lemons makes us think ‘clean’ and ‘fresh.’ Lemons are nature’s antiseptic and their juice is a powerful cleansing agent. The scent of lemons is known to be a mood booster and is often used to perk up people suffering from depression or anxiety.
Here are Some More Reasons to Have More Lemons in Your Life.
Lemons Make You Lovely
Lemon juice is a natural scalp cleanser, and many people use it to bring out natural highlights in their hair. Lemon juice also dries up acne, helps fade age spots, and can gradually dissolve warts.
Cut a lemon in half and rub the halves over rough spots on your feet, elbows, and hands. The juice will soften callused skin. This trick also works to heal cold sores and fever blisters.
You can use lemon juice to whiten your nails, freshen your breath, or soothe your aching feet.
Lemons Make You Healthy
Lemon juice is a good treatment for many conditions including arthritis, indigestion, and rheumatism. According to Dr Axe, ‘Lemon juice aids in digestion, detoxification, and is high in vitamin C, making it a great antioxidant.’
Drinking lemonade daily will rid the body of toxins and prevent kidney stones from forming. Lemons are used to treating diseases like cholera and malaria, as their juice helps purify the blood.
We all know lemons are rich in vitamin C but did you know about the many other vitamins and minerals they contain? These include vitamin A, vitamin E, copper, chromium, potassium, iron and magnesium. Like most other fruits, lemons are high in antioxidants, which are proven to fight the signs of aging.
If you want to see the power of them work a small miracle in your life, try this trick. Place three cut lemons in a bowl by your bedside every night. Here are just a few things that will happen.
- Your room will smell wonderful. They work better than an aerosol spray or room freshener that will just unload chemicals into your environment. Get a freshly scented room by slicing open lemons and leaving them in a bowl overnight. You’ll never want to use those toxic sprays again.
- You’ll breathe better. If you suffer from asthma, or you have a cold or allergies, breathing in the lemon-filled air all night will improve your breathing. You’ll awake with a clear head and a clear throat.
- You’ll awake refreshed. If you’re someone who hates to wake up and often feels sluggish in the morning, that will end once you inhale the lemony perfume. Lift the bowl of lemons to your face and breathe in. You’ll feel an instant hit of energy and well-being that’s far better, and far better for you, then a jolt of caffeine or a sugar-filled energy drink.
It’s been shown that seeing something bright and cheerful first thing in the morning instantly improves your mood. A bowl of sunny lemons is just the ticket to lift your gray morning spirits and make you take on the day with a smile.
It’s time to stop treating the lowly lemon as just a garnish or a cooking ingredient.
This citrus ball of goodness deserves pride of place in your home. Go grab a bag of lemons today and put them to use making your life healthier, happier and more beautiful.